Monday, January 10, 2011

To balm or not to balm...

Health is partly in how you feel, so why is it that some things that feel healthy really aren't?  Let's take lip balm for instance.  Great product, when done right.  It helps chapped lips to recover from the elements they are exposed to like wind, sun and cold.  However, when you add ingredients like preservatives, salts, petroleum products and even menthol, you may end up drying the lips further.  Many of the ingredients that feel so thick and smooth while being applied, are really the same ingredients that will later cause problems.  Lesson learned? - Like all good things, be informed, and read those labels!  Our lips, skin, and hair like the soothing things of nature, but not in a shiny chemical package.

Next, water.  Learn to like it, add lemons, honey, limes, orange, cucumber, whatever!  But, make sure you know what's already been added, too.  Most water supplies have levels of chemicals or contamination that the municipalities deem at safe levels, but safe can be relative.  Don't stop drinking your water, but learn what you can about where it comes from and what it goes through.  I have 3 preferred methods myself for water: 1 - I get bulk water from a local supplier who uses a 3 step UV and osmosis recycle system.  I also get a lower price by purchasing a punch card.  2 - I love my GE system for under my sink, it's complete, small and easy to install.  3 - I also have a filtration system in my fridge, works fine for most of the time.  I do purchase bottled water for some occasions, but I also know what it takes to produce those, so we have quite a few reusable bottles in our home for everyone.

Immune boosters - I will cover more about this in a while when we talk about people's experiences with major illness.  That being said, it's flu season.  What do you know about what's on your shelves?  Just a quickie for me... vitamin D (almost no one gets enough), vitamin C, spirulina, and Oscillococcinum
Side note: Eucalyptus essential oil and hazelnut carrier oil are on sale at Mountain Rose Herbs this month.
Mountain Rose Herbs. A herbs, health and harmony c

No comments:

Post a Comment