Saturday, January 8, 2011

First Herbal Post

Sorry that it's been 2 days, I've had my darling 3 year old with a fever that's been going to over 105 for the past 3 days. This brings me to my first post about herbs and natural remedies that I have learned. This is in no way a complete list and if you'd like more information or ideas, let me know. Keep in mind that cold symptoms (or strep and UTI symptoms which is what my daughter has) have a purpose. The fever is the body's way of creating a hostile environment for the virus or bacteria, the congestion and swelling, is to protect the body and bring needed nutrients and immune fighters to the area. That being said, here are some ideas that I have personally tried with success and recommend.

Garlic, echinacea, vitamin C, and zinc are common cold fighters. They all can help to varying degrees for different things. Ginger, cayenne and honey work well to help with conditions of the throat or digestive tract.

For herbal tea treatments (not black tea, just steeped herbs) I highly recommend elderberry and marshmallow root. They taste good together and help aid the body in immune restoration. Turmeric and elderberry can also be taken in pill forms, but I don't recommend the root in pill form, I haven't had as many good experiences with it like that. I love marshmallow root and try to have it on hand at all times if possible. White willow bark is an excellent anti-inflammatory if that is more of the issue. Calendula and Yarrow root can also be great, but watch for sensitivities with these.  I use calendula cream for many things including burns, bites, and rashes.

Marshmallow Root

Mountain Rose Herbs Marshmallow Info




For aromatherapy, I recommend tea tree (a natural antiseptic), peppermint (dilator), eucalyptus, and spruce (pain relief).

Keep in mind this is not a complete list, just things that I use regularly for myself or my clients. As always, to aid your body's natural health, sleep 7-9 hours each night, get plenty of water (learn how you like it), and take in wholesome foods. See you tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment