Monday, January 17, 2011

The power of touch

I have known people who say they never like to be touched, and I've known those that can't get enough.  Personally, I run an interesting middle line.  When my husband and I were dating, it drove him crazy that I didn't like to hold hands, but I'm also a massage therapist, so...   Let's talk touch.  Touch is actually a survival need, and the need is not limited to humans.  Primates are found to have the same need.  If you have a minute check out this experiment.  It's part of a tactile experiment done in the 50's that illustrated the needs of nurturing and touch.

Soft Monkeys

So touch is important, but that's not to say that we don't all have different ways and needs to receive this.  Some people who aren't used to a lot of contact prefer the smaller things, handshakes, pat on the back, helping hands, while others like almost all contact.  I was reminded myself about touch today when my daughter was lying down for her nap, and HAD to be touching my skin.  It was a comfort and security for her, and in our particular stage, she needed that.  After getting herself comfortable and touching my neck just the right way, her eyes closed and she fell swiftly to sleep.

My challenge to all of us today, is to be a little more open to the touch need.  Reach your hand out today, or if it's comfortable, let someone else touch you.  Being receptive to touch is a capability that we can learn and that can help us to have more tools when we feel alone, afraid, or sad.   Part of why it can be hard to be receptive to touch can be a fear of rejection, past history, or low self-esteem, but by partaking in human touch, we awaken in ourselves a very real sense of our connection to each other. 

I hope you have a great Monday and I'll see you tomorrow.

1 comment: