Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Going to waste... and smiles

I like the reflection, it's bringing some interesting things to mind.  It's funny that sometimes we do something just so it doesn't "go to waste".  It's important to make sure that when we don't want something to go to waste that the alternative isn't wasteful either.  Eating something, buying something, or doing something we don't really want can be a tremendous waste.  Our time, energy and health are precious commodities.  Let me give you a couple of examples.
My kids don't eat all of their dessert, but it's the homemade pie that we made, so I finish it off.  Is that really saving food?
Or, I've seen great deals on small bottles of concentrated detergent.  I have 2 detergents that my family use regularly, one organic, the other regular, but if I buy one of the small concentrated bottles am I saving money or the planet?  A small plastic bottle that won't biodegrade and minimal detergent until I have to drive to the store again. 
Or, if I spend the extra few minutes to finish a game or book and not have to save it or carry it around longer and I miss tucking my kids in, what was wasted?

In some cases it's worth it to save waste, in some it depends on my personal circumstance, and in others, it's just about changing my views. 

For those of you wondering I've included a link to our favorite organic detergent.


So what do you think?  How can we avoid waste and still prioritize what's most important?  Let me know your thoughts!

Remember to smile, it releases endorphins, uses more muscles, and improves all those who see it. Happy day!

This was fun, want to appear as a Covergirl? Check this out.

No comments:

Post a Comment