Sunday, January 9, 2011

Fitness Goals

I promised it would be forthcoming, and here it is. Suggestions for your fitness goals. First I'd like to begin by raving about help. GET HELP! (hehe) Workout with a friend, having someone you're accountable to, or use an online program. There are a BUNCH of online things that are starting right now and reward you for doing well. YES, bonus! Here are some that I've tried before and are available now.

Self with Jillian
Body By Glamour
Special K

If that isn't your route, know that success in fitness goals will always get easier with time.  There is no best time to work out in my experience.  The experts tell people not at night because they don't sleep as well, but in my years of helping people, some people do experience the extended adrenaline of moderate workouts or endorphins interrupting sleep, but others who work out at lower intensity just after work do exceptionally well.  I have worked with athletes who just have to discover what works for them, and I, along with any other non-athletic types, have the same objective.  To find what works with your own body and family schedule, though, will require inital flexibility. 

Finding where should be easier, some can only be motivated in a gym, others prefer the privacy, or cost of doing it from home.  I've had a number of successful experiences with both.  Here's a video that my DH and I just started with.  It's pretty awesome for the different levels and required time, but DH adds that Jillian doesn't know when to stop talking. 


Keep in mind that the best fitness goals incorporate the triangle of fitness, stretching, strength and cardio.  Cardio should be 5 times a week with a raised heartrate, great calculator here.   Strength is at least 3 days a week of targeted strength workouts.  Stretching, I believe, should be incorporated into every single day.  I will post later a wide range of stretches for various health purposes. 

So, to sum up, do it, find what works, tell or work out with a friend, and vary your workouts.  Simple enough, just have to find the time and motivation.  More on that later.  :)

2 comments:

  1. I like the heart rate calculator! Easy, quick and relevant to age and fitness level.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Body by Glamour site drives me crazy. Where do you actually get to the program? On the other hand, the Self with Jillian food diary is awesome!

    ReplyDelete