Thursday, February 24, 2011

What's up with our metabolisms?

So there's supposed to be all these things that raise your metabolism, green tea, peppers, reservatrol, vitamin C etc.  The question is, do they really work and how?  First off, yes, most of them do work in some way or another, and as to how, it depends.  Science stuff - our bodies burn calories based off of need, environment, and chemical changes.  If we increase the need (ie exercise) our bodies breakdown cells (food, fat or unfortunatly sometimes muscle or other) to provide for the exertion.  The environment, hot or cold, wet or dry, light or dark, toxins, can all affect our metabolism as well.  Chemical level - this is the level altered by foods, stress, sleep and more.  At the chemical level we have to fight stress hormones that want to slow metabolism and add fat, we have to provide enough nutrients that our bodies don't break us down, and we have the ability to improve functions through certain nutrients or conditions.

Want to know 2 great things to boost your metabolism easily?  Drink lots of cool or cold water and take the stairs.  Yep. The vitamin C and peppers and all that other stuff?  I recommend a lot of it too, but there's the easy way and then there's the effective way.  Also lower ... your ... stress.  Breathe, laugh, forgive, let go, and be involved with life, not controlled by it. 

For those that want to know - I try to take my own advice.  TRY.  (Ok no Yoda stuff here for my friends of that persuasion).  I usually have moderation, and I do drink my water, but I also ate 12 tacos in a sitting not that long ago.  *sigh*  I need work.  :)

Have a little boost today!  I'm going to, sore thighs aside, there are stairs in my future, and water of course!  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment