Thursday, February 17, 2011

Heart Health

I wasn't really planning on talking about this, but I just had something funny happen so, now I'm going to talk about our hearts.  First, here's my funny story.

I am alone in my house, no kids right now, and no DH.  Apparently my oldest son has a ringtone on his prepaid cell that gets progressively louder and I did not know this.  I thought I heard something ringing, but it wasn't my phone or cell so I decided I wouldn't worry about it, but then it got louder and louder and I thought it was getting closer and closer until it sounded so loud I thought it was right outside the room where I was!  My heart was racing and the whole adrenaline rush, but no, no one was sneaking up on me with a ringing cell phone.  Although it will take 20 minutes to get my body out of fight or flight, so at least I'll have energy for a while.  :)

Heart health.  Exercise, sleep, garlic, fruits, veggies, lower red meat, yea, yea, we know.  I am going to bring in a "my personal opinion" thing here though.  Careful, this might be unorthodox, I don't think your cholesterol level is THAT important.  I'm not saying it's not important, but people seem to make it out like the level is what causes heart disease.  People with low cholesterol have heart attacks, people with high cholesterol live to over 100.  Moderation is an excellent way to work on your heart health.  Our livers make enough cholesterol for our daily needs (and yes we do need it), so almost all food intake is extra.  Our bodies can get rid of some of it, but our intake frequently exceeds that level.  Moderation of unhealthy foods, good levels of exercise, and not overworking our livers (think medication and alcohol) can help our bodies to do what they do best!  Our bodies naturally rebound, we get sick, it fights to get better, we get tired, it sleeps, we get cut, bruised, weak, our bodies will try to come back.  We need to give our bodies the resources for those activities.  Oatmeal, Avocados, Berries, Salmon, Nuts, Spinach, and Beans.  I also know a lot of people talk about the value of soy in our diets, but if you look at the ingredients in almost anything, there's some soy in there.  Soy has become a primary oil and filler substitute, so I don't personally recommend additional soy.  Keep hormones in check as well, organics have there place if you can afford them.  Flaxseed is also great, and ground up can be added to almost anything, bread, salads, oatmeal (hint, hint).
Flax Seed, Pre-Ground - 40 oz.
Alright, personal opinion over, I welcome comments, even contrary.  See you tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment